Thursday, July 26, 2012

Turkey Caprese Sliders

I got this idea from watching "Giada At Home."  Giada made regular sized burgers using beef but as soon as I saw the show, I thought it would be a great idea to make them with turkey and turn them into sliders.  And great they were!

Burgers:

20 oz. package of ground turkey (I used 93/7)
1/2 cup of pesto (I used store bought but you can make your own)
2 tbs. grated Parmesan
1/2 ball of fresh mozzarella (about 8 oz.) cut into 1/4 inch slices then cut in half (you need 12 small slices) and patted dry
Salt and pepper to taste

Pesto Mayonnaise:


1/4 cup mayonnaise
2 tbs. pesto
12 slider rolls (I actually used dinner rolls)
2 or 3 Roma tomatoes (depending on size) sliced into 12 slices

Note:  Giada recommends freezing the cheese for a bit to make it easier to slice.  I have found a serrated knife cuts it just fine right out of the fridge.

Combine the turkey, pesto, Parmesan, salt and pepper in a large bowl.  Form the mixture into balls slightly larger than a gold ball and press into patties.  With your thumb, make a small indentation in the middle of the patties.  This will keep them from puffing up in the middle.  here are several ways you could cook these.  You could cook the burgers on a grill, over medium high heat,  in a pan or, like I did, on an electric griddle (a la Alton Brown...it was raining).  I had the heat at about 350.
















Cook the burgers approximately 4 minutes in the first side.  Then, flip them over and top with the halved slices of mozzarella and cook another 4 to 5 minutes.  Remove the burgers from the heat and allow them to rest for about 5 minutes.

While the burgers are resting, mix the mayo and pesto in a small bowl until smooth.

Now, if you want, you can grill or toast the buns (I didn't).  Spread the pesto mayo on one half of the roll. Add the burger and a tomato slice.  Add the top half of the roll and serve.

















These were a hit with my kids.  Hubby said they were a bit bland but I disagree.  With football season approaching, I think I'l be making these again soon.

Adapted from Giada de Laurentiis.

No comments: