Thursday, October 27, 2011

C Is For Cookie And Cookie Is For Me

I thought I would get an early start in the holiday baking posts this year in case anyone has a cookie swap or holiday party to go to.  I've already posted some cookie recipes here but I have lots more thanks to several years of attending a cookie swap back in CT so I thought I would share a few more.

I'm not sure where I got this first one.  My mom used to make these cookies but I can't remember if this is her recipe or if I got it elsewhere.  I quick search of the Web didn't turn up any exactly like this one so if anyone knows where it came from, let me know.  This is also for one of my friends...I was supposed to send her this recipe WEEKS ago (Sorry, Chibi!)

Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies
1/2 C butter
1 1/2 C white sugar
1 egg
1 C canned pumpkin (NOT pumpkin pie filling)
1 tsp. vanilla extract
2 1/2 C AP flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. ground nutmeg
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
1 C semisweet chocolate chips
1/2 C chopped walnuts (optional)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.  Beat in the egg, then stir in the pumpkin and vanilla.  Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, nutmeg and cinnamon; gradually mix into the creamed mixture.  Stir in the walnuts and chocolate chips.  Drop dough by teaspoonfuls onto the prepared cookie sheets.

Bake for 15 minutes or until light brown,  Cool on wire racks.

This next recipe is a bit nostalgic for me because Hubby and I spent our wedding night at a Double Tree.  I do have to say, the cookies are amazing!

Double Tree Chocolate Chip Cookies

1 cup butter, softened
3/4 cup brown sugar, packed
3/4 cup granulated sugar
2 eggs
1-1/2 tsp. vanilla
1/2 tsp. lemon juice
1/2 cup rolled oats
2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1-1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. cinnamon
3 cups semi-sweet, chocolate chips
1-1/2 cups chopped walnuts

Grind oats in a food processor or blender until fine. Combine the ground oats with the flour, baking soda, salt and cinnamon in a medium bowl.

Cream together the butter, sugars, vanilla, and lemon juice in another medium bowl with an electric mixer. Add the eggs and mix until smooth. Stir the dry mixture into the wet mixture and mix until just blended. Add the chocolate chips and nuts to the dough and mix by hand until ingredients are well blended.

NOTE: For the best results, chill the dough overnight in the refrigerator before baking the cookies.

Spoon rounded 1/4 cup portions onto an ungreased or parchment lined cookie sheet. Place the scoops about 2 inches apart. (You will probably only fit 4-6 cookies per sheet at this size) Bake in a 350°F oven for 16-18 minutes or until cookies are light brown around the edges and soft in the middle. Store in a sealed container when cool to keep soft.

This next recipe I got from my sister-in-law.  You could probably use any kind of miniature candy bar you like for this.  I've made them with Milky Ways.

Snickers Surprise Peanut Butter Cookies

1 cup butter, softened
1 cup creamy peanut butter
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup white sugar
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
24 Snickers miniature candy bars

Preheat oven to 300°F.

In a medium bowl, sift together flour, baking soda, and salt.

In a large bowl, mix together butter, peanut butter, and sugars until light and fluffy.  Add eggs and vanilla and combine thoroughly.  Then mix in flour mixture.

Cover and chill dough 2-3 hours.

To form cookie, scoop a tablespoon of chilled dough and flatten.  Place a miniature Snickers in the center and form the dough into a ball around the Snickers.

Place on a greased cookie sheet.  Bake for 10-20 minutes.  Cool cookies on a rack.

Optional: Decorate cookies with powdered sugar or drizzled melted chocolate or both.

Well, that's it for now.  In the next week or so, I'll be putting up some of my favorite Thanksgiving recipes so keep an eye out!

1 comment:

Blue Water Partner Companies, LLC said...

Awesome! I would love to see some closeup photos of the cookies and all your recipes when posting. Thanks, I need the photo tutorial help. heehee Tim