Thursday, July 14, 2011

Playing Catch Up

I have a small stash of recipes I've been meaning to post but with it being summer vacation and having out of town guests, I haven't been able to get them posted until now.  Hubby will be working from home most days from now on so I am hoping that will free me up to blog more often.

These first two recipes I found in my Publix flyer one week.  Usually their recipes don't appeal to me but both of these sounded good so I gave them a try.  I haven't made the chicken one in a while since I grill most nights right now but the squash one has become a weekly staple since I can find great squash at the weekly farmers market.

Lemon Thyme Chicken With Sautéed Squash Ribbons

Lemon Thyme Chicken

1 3/4 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 tablespoon canola oil
2 tablespoons lemon juice
3/4 cup white wine
1 (14-oz) can reduced-sodium chicken broth
8–10 whole sprigs fresh thyme
4–6 whole sprigs fresh oregano
1 tablespoon cornstarch
2 tablespoons water

Preheat large sauté pan on medium-high 2–3 minutes. Season chicken with salt and pepper (wash hands). Place oil in pan and then add chicken; cook 2–3 minutes on each side or until lightly browned.

Stir in lemon juice, wine, broth, thyme, and oregano; cover. Cook and stir 8–10 minutes, turning chicken occasionally, or until 165°F. Remove chicken, thyme, and oregano from pan.

Combine cornstarch and water until smooth; pour into pan and bring to a boil. Cook and stir 2–3 minutes or until thickened. Slice chicken, top with sauce, and serve.

Sautéed Squash Ribbons 

1–2 medium zucchini
2–3 medium yellow squash
1 tablespoon butter
1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper

Cut zucchini and squash thinly, using vegetable peeler, down length of squash until reaching seeds. Rotate squash and continue cutting ribbons until only seeds remain.

Preheat large sauté pan on medium-high 2–3 minutes. Place butter in pan and then add garlic; cook and stir 2–3 minutes or until softened.

Add squash ribbons, salt, and pepper; cook and stir 3–4 minutes or just until tender. Serve.

My notes:  Most of the time, I use just zucchini because I think it's easier to peel plus I like it better.  I also use olive oil in place of butter and sometimes I sprinkle parmesan cheese over it at the end.  My kids LOVE this.

This next recipe is another that has become a staple in our house.  My family LOVES risotto but in an effort to eat healthier, I have cut most white products out of our diet.  I tried to make it with brown rice but it took FOREVER.  When I heard about barley risotto, I was skeptical but it actually really good.  In fact, my husband says he likes it even better than the regular stuff now.  This is my basic recipe that I canme up with after researching a few different recipes.  It's easy to add veggies, etc. to it to make it a complete meal if you want.

Basic Barley Risotto

1 cup pearl barley
4 cups of chicken stock (I use the fat free low sodium kind)
1 medium onion, chopped
1 garlic clove, minced
1 to 2 tbs. olive oil (you know me, I don't measure.)
1/4 to 1/2 cup white wine
1/4 to 1/2 cup grated parmesan
Chopped parsley (optional)

Warm stock to simmering in small saucepan, keep hot over low heat.

In large, heavy bottomed saucepan, olive oil. Add onions and cook until softened.  Add in garlic and sauté 1-2 minutes.
Pour in barley and cook 4-6 minutes, just to allow grains to toast slightly.

Add the wine and stir until all the wine is absorbed.  Add 2 cups of the broth and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the broth is all absorbed.  This takes about 20 minutes.

Add the remaining 2 cups of broth and continue to simmer, no need to stir, until the broth is absorbed and the barley is al dente.  This should take about 35 minutes.

Add in the parsley, if using, and Parmesan just before removing from heat.

This last recipe I got from a friend.  I've searched the Internet for the original recipe but I haven't been able to find it.  If anyone knows where it came from, please let me know.

Crustless Spinach Quiche

1/2 cup reduced fat shredded Swiss cheese
1/2 cup reduced fat shredded cheddar cheese
1 large onion, chopped
8 oz fresh baby spinach
1 Tbsp garlic
1 Tbsp flour
1 cup Egg Beaters
1 1/4 cups fat free 1/2 & 1/2
1/4 tsp salt
1/8 tsp pepper

Spray 9" glass pie dish (or an 8"x8" glass baking dish) with cooking spray. In large bowl, mix cheeses, onion, spinach, garlic & flour. Sprinkle into baking dish.

Mix together Egg Beaters, 1/2 & 1/2, salt and pepper. Pour liquid mixture over spinach/cheese mixture in baking dish. Make sure to press the spinach and cheese down a bit so the egg covers at least part of it.

Bake @ 375 degrees for 45 minutes or unitl knife inserted in center comes out clean. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.

My notes:   I had to cook mine a bit longer than the recipe called for and it was a bit watery.  My suggestion would be to reduce the 1/2 and 1/2 by about a quarter of a cup if you use fresh spinach.  The other alternative it to use thawed, well drained frozen spinach.

Well, that's it for now.  I have a stash of new recipes that I'm oping to try so hopefully I'll be back soon!

No comments: