Monday, January 25, 2010

Shrimp Lovers

We are huge shrimp lovers in my family. The only one who doesn't eat them is my 2 year old and that's only because she is in a picky phase. She started eating them at around 11 months old. So, I thought I would share a family favorite. This is my own recipe. I usually just wing it but when I made it the other night, I did measure so I could pass the recipe on. Here it is:

Shrimp Scampi

1 pound (raw) large shrimp, peeled and deveined (I like to use 21-25's)
2 cloves of garlic, minced
1/2 C dry vermouth (you could also use white wine)
The juice of 2 lemons (maybe about 1/3 C)
1/4 chopped fresh parsley
1 tbs olive oil
1 tbs. unsalted butter
1 pound of spaghetti (or any thin pasta)
Salt and pepper to taste

Cook the pasta according to the package directions. Preheat a pan over medium heat. In the last 5-7 minutes of the pasta cooking time, add the olive oil and butter to the pan. Add the garlic and cook for about 2 minutes. Season the shrimp with salt and pepper and add to the pan, cooking until they are almost all pink. Add the vermouth and lemon juice and a little of the pasta water. Add the pasta and the parsley to the pan with the shrimp and toss. Add more pasta water if needed to make a sauce.

My 5 year old LOVES this. It's one of her favorite meals.

I tried a new shrimp recipe the other night that was posted on a message board I go to. I also made the rice recipe that accompanied it. The recipes originally came from a Weight Watchers recipe blog which you can link to off the recipe titles.

Garlic Shrimp

1 lb large shrimp, peeled and deveined
6 cloves garlic, sliced thin
1 tbsp Spanish olive oil
crushed red pepper flakes
pinch paprika
salt
1/4 cup chopped fresh herbs like cilantro or parsley
Lime wedges for serving

In a large skillet, heat oil on medium heat and add the garlic and red pepper flakes. Sauté until golden, about 2 minutes being careful not to burn. Add shrimp and season with salt and paprika. Cook 2-3 minutes until shrimp is cooked through. Do not overcook or it will become tough and chewy. Add chopped fresh herbs and divide equally in 3 plates.

Scallion Cilantro Rice

1 cup uncooked long grain rice
1 tbsp olive oil
1 habanero pepper, diced (I used a jalapeno which is MUCH milder, even my kids ate it)
1/2 tsp salt
2 cups water
2 scallions, diced
1/4 cup fresh chopped cilantro
2 tbsp fresh lime juice

In a small heavy pot add oil and saute pepper on medium heat. Add rice, water and salt. Boil on high until most of the water evaporates. When the water just skims the top of the rice, reduce flame to low and cover about 15 minutes. Shut off stove and keep covered an additional 5 minute.

In a medium bowl, combine chopped scallions, cilantro, lime juice, rice and toss until completely mixed. Makes approx 3 cups.

These were a hit with the family and I plan on keeping them to make again. Enjoy!

4 comments:

Tammy said...

Erin! I've been meaning to post for awhile but I love this blog. I do a thing (well I did...I hope to get back to it now that I'm trying to blog more) called Recipe Fridays on mine. Maybe I can share your blog on mine? Is that okay? Thanks for this recipe... Kate LOVES shrimp as do I!

Do you have recommendations when you don't have vermouth or white wine in the house? what is a good substitute... or what would be your rec for a good cooking wine?

Erin said...

Oh, please do! I would LOVE to have more traffic and I have TONS of recipes to try. I am trying another one tonight that I'll hopefully post tomorrow.

Hehe, I alwayss have white wine and vermouth in the house but if you don't, you can use a little chicken broth or even just add more pasta water and lemon juice. When I do cook with white wine, I tend to use sauvignon blanc or pinot grigio. There are some sauvignon blanc recommendations on my wine blog but my staple is called Anakena (from Chile) and it's really reasonable. Robert Mondavi Private Selection and Barefoot Cellars are also good and very reasonable. I'm not sure if I put any pinot grigio ones up yet but the Mondavi or Barefoot pinots are good as well

Wendy F said...

Ohh I have some fresh shrimp in the fridge right now! Might have to try the scampi.

Anonymous said...

I can't wait to try the garlic shrimp. I had a wonderful shrimp dish years ago in Panama. After trying to recreate it, I finally figured it out. Poach the garlic! Simmer peeled cloves of garlic and simmer in lightly salted water for a few minutes, until soft. Drain, cool and saute it in some olive oil and butter. It makes a great sauce, you can add some white wine too.

~Becky