Monday, July 30, 2012

A Honey Of A Drink

This post was originally featured on the Drinking Made Easy site here.


One of the perks of living in Florida is having farmers markets all year round. The prices are so much better than the grocery stores and of course, everything is fresher.  Another perk I discovered was cheap honey.  A local apiary has a booth at the farmers market we go to and the prices are just great.  I can get an almost 3 pound jar of local, raw honey for $11.  Heck, those little bear squeeze bottles cost around $5 at the grocery store and it’s not even local honey.

I use the honey in my tea and in Greek yogurt, mostly.  But recently I was looking at my big jar and I wondered what kind of drinks I could make using it.  So, off I went to search out some new drinks using the awesome local honey.

I am a big fan of Absolut pears.  I think it makes a GREAT Cosmopolitan so naturally, this drink caught my eye immediately.  It doesn’t hurt that it has plums in it either.  They’re one of my favorite fruits.

Absolut Smitten Pears

2 1/2 part(s) Absolut Pears Vodka
1/2 part(s) Plum Diced
3/4 part(s) Honey
1/2 part(s) Lemon Juice
3 slice(s) Ginger

Muddle the plum and ginger together. Add Absolut Pears, honey, a squeeze of lemon and ice.  Shake and strain into martini glass.














Ballylickey Bait

2 oz. Irish Whiskey
Sparkling Water (Cold)
Honey

In an old-fashioned glass, muddle the honey and a little water until it dissolves. Add ice cubes and whiskey and fill with sparkling water. Stir gently and garnish with a lemon peel.













And this last recipe is very refreshing on a warm, summer night.  To me, rum goes hand in hand with summer.

Bee's Knees Cocktail

1 1/2 oz. White Rum
1/4 oz. Lemon Juice
1/2 oz. Honey

Shake with ice and strain into a cocktail glass.













So, if you can find local, raw honey I recommend getting some.  Not only is it said to be good for helping allergies, it makes one heck of a drink too!



No comments: